Final details of the trip

Well here is a wrap up of the trip.

Total time away was 83 days living on board. Wonderful!

70 nights in marinas and 13 nights in anchorages.

Total mileage was 1838 nautical miles or 3404 km’s.

Total fuel was +/- 507 litres for a total $ 811.61

No real issues with anything on board and I feel that was attributed to planning every last detail on board and regular equipment inspections. Food was great and the freezer worked well. The cooler I purchased to act as a fridge worked well but did take a lot of power to run.

Electrically everything worked well also and again during routine inspections I found at different times, connectors called “Ring Terminals” that during the normal engine vibration had broken wires. a few times this happened and I found this by tugging on the wires. The wires went into these connectors and they had heat shrink covering the last 1″ of the cable. So what happened was the wire would break inside the heat shrink, separate and remain in the same location. So even though there was no connection from the wire to the terminal, it looked good. A slight tug on the wire and it would pull out of the sleeve. While underway this would have been a challenge to find and fix but a good inspection at the dock saved a lot of grief here.

Mechanically everything went well and during routine maintenance inspection I found the water pump started to develop a leak on the seal to the water side. The oil side was ok. I ordered a new seal and replaced it in Matane. Quebec. This cost me three days of waiting time but that was all.

In Montreal at the Royal St Lawrence Yacht Club I was able to use the mast ladder and do an inspection of the top of the mast on the return trip. At this time I found the mast light lens to be cracked but the unit still worked. I put duct tape on it and this will need to be replaced this winter as well as the bow light. A good excuse to change them to the new LED units. Pictures of this are in a previous posting.

Below is a picture of the water pump. What you see is a stainless cover over the impeller. Behind it is a shaft that comes out of the engine. The copper tube on the right is the incoming water from the outside.  The pump pushes the water to the left and up into the engine. To change the seal I had to pull out the impeller, pull the seal out behind it, replace it, and reinstall the impeller. Actually quite a simple procedure once you have done it once!

IMG-20140613-00080

 

 

This entry was posted in NFLD & Labrador's Ship's Log. Bookmark the permalink.

Comments are closed.